Comments for Melnyks Chinese Lessons Learn Mandarin Chinese with theme-based, progressive and easy to follow audio lessons Mon, 15 Jan 2018 16:35:43 +0000 hourly 1 Comment on Lesson 007. Lessons Review! by Laia Mon, 15 Jan 2018 16:35:43 +0000 The best podcast of Chinesse! Thank you so much : )

Comment on Lesson 075. Road Safety in China. by Jan Sun, 22 Jan 2017 17:26:19 +0000 I’m studying Chinese for about one year with the New Practical Chinese Reader. If you can only practice part time like me, its getting hard with chapters in pure characters from part II on. Your carefully
crafted lessons are great to keep up the motivation and the feeling of progress every day. And theres really no better way for wiring spoken Chinese in my brain then with Your nuanced and thoughtful teaching.

Thanks very much for Your work!

Comment on Lesson 065. Chinese Grammar Summary. by Melnyks Chinese Mon, 14 Nov 2016 16:48:45 +0000 Thank you!
Please subscribe by clicking on the sign up button and you will be able to download Chinese lessons via your mobile device.

Comment on Lesson 006. Chinese Food is Good to Eat! by Larry Thu, 05 May 2016 20:44:52 +0000 Actually, never mind my last comment about the sound level. I was listening on earbuds in a noisy cafe and had to turn the sound up to hear you, which made Summer sound too loud. But in a quiet room this was no longer an issue.

Comment on Lesson 006. Chinese Food is Good to Eat! by Larry Thu, 05 May 2016 20:15:42 +0000 Hi Serge! I really like your podcasts – after much effort I’ve been frustrated at the lack of structured audio/listening resources, and so far yours is definitely the best. I really like your conversational approach – it feels almost like having a personal teacher. I found you through Olle Linge’s Hacking Chinese by the way.

One comment on Lesson 6: it seems Summer’s voice is too loud compared to yours, just in this lesson. Not sure if you can do anything about it.

Comment on Lesson 005. What’s your name? by Serge Melnyk Wed, 03 Feb 2016 06:13:40 +0000 Yes, the ‘dialogs only’ are available in your account, you just need to login with your credentials. Use the login button on top.

Comment on Lesson 005. What’s your name? by Herb Tue, 02 Feb 2016 16:06:46 +0000 I would like to listen to the situational dialogues without all the explanation (after I have studied all the explanations of course) as a means of review and enhancing my ability to understand spoken Mandarin. Have you thought of a dialogue only blog using the words learned (or maybe there is something like that already available that I’m not aware of)? I think students would be willing to pay extra for that.

Comment on Lesson 014. Time Concepts and Calendar. by Steve Turkeltaub Mon, 21 Sep 2015 01:57:48 +0000 Just want you to know I have been using Pimsleur Mandarin for the past 2 years. I went through all 90 lessons. I think your lessons are far superior!

Comment on Lesson 016. Giving Gifts, Visiting Friends, Drinking Culture. by Joyce Sun, 23 Aug 2015 17:04:17 +0000 Thank you for your podcasts. I go to Chinese school on weekend and use these along with my studies. My husband ( 教授/ polymer science) goes to changchun 2 sometimes 3 x year to teach courses at Institute. I love changchun ,what a beautiful city. Need to learn Chinese to survive up there!! I appreciate your pronunciation of words / tones and Helping us to be aware of the differences in word usage depending where you are/region in China. It is good to be aware
of these differences. Also,the variations of phrases such as thank you, no need, you shouldn’t have etc… You do a wonderful job with such useful dialogues. Look forward to my next lesson. Again thank you so much. Your hard work in putting together these podcasts are greatly appreciated

Comment on Lesson 245. Public Transport Etiquette. by Will Fri, 14 Aug 2015 15:00:19 +0000 Great lessons! Wish I knew about this course earlier, before I spent hundreds on Rosetta stone and pimsleur. Your lessons work very well for me and I’ve made so much progress in just 1 week!

Comment on Lesson 008. Let’s talk about hobbies. by Serge Melnyk Mon, 29 Jun 2015 02:49:10 +0000 I first started learning Chinese when I was 16-17. But I don’t think age is an issue. What becomes an issue is time you spend on it. If you spend certain amount of time every day to learn Chinese, you will see how you progress quickly.

Comment on Lesson 008. Let’s talk about hobbies. by Anthony Johnson Sun, 28 Jun 2015 15:12:53 +0000 Hello Serge
When did you first start learning Chinese? Your lessons are very useful but I started late and i think i have reached a plateau.

Comment on Lesson 140. Back Door. by Kristen Tue, 26 May 2015 00:27:37 +0000 Dear Mr. Melnyk,
I am currently a high school junior. I lived in Shanghai for the past two
years and recently moved back to the States; however, I really wanted to
keep up my Chinese. I absolutely love your program. I’m really busy but
your lessons are a great length, and I listen to one every morning on the
way to school. The program is fantastic, and I am actually learning more
than I did from my Chinese tutor in Shanghai!

Comment on Lesson 141. Secondhand Smoke. by HP Thu, 30 Apr 2015 18:21:28 +0000 Dear Serge, I tried nearly all Chinese web courses, I like your systematic method, your clear pronounciation, and your lessons around a topic are just great. In my opinion, your course is the best course on the Internet and the best value for money! Thank you so much for your great work. All the best HP

Comment on Lesson 001. Greetings in Chinese. by Filipe Werneck Sat, 28 Mar 2015 22:10:03 +0000 Thanks. That is what I’ve been looking for. Congratulations for the creation of this website that so far has been of great help. I will, in return, tell others who are interested in learning Mandarin about this website.

Comment on Lesson 016. Giving Gifts, Visiting Friends, Drinking Culture. by Elizabeth Wed, 04 Feb 2015 22:06:45 +0000 Hey Serge,

Thank you for your fantastic Chinese lessons! I started using your podcast because my boyfriend’s parents, who don’t speak any English, were coming to visit the US for his graduation from art school. Even though I had only gotten through about 30 lessons by then, I was able to communicate many of my thoughts and understand their responses. I even delivered a “flawless” toast afterwards! They were very impressed with my language skills after such a short time and were thrilled I was making the effort to communicate with them and to appreciate their culture.

I will continue using your lessons, and I hope to learn a lot more!

Comment on Lesson 266. Dinner with Your Boss. by Scott Fri, 10 Jan 2014 20:06:26 +0000 Taking online lessons with Serge has been great. The best thing is that he can answer immediately all of those finer points about Chinese grammar and syntax and usage that seem to make sense in English but don’t in Chinese. I’ve saved a lot of time simply by asking Serge these questions online, and having him critique my accent, too, as we work through dialogues and talk informally. They’re definitely worth the money!-Scott, professional teacher living in China.

Comment on Lesson 196. Sing and Learn. The Orchids. by Bill Ross Fri, 06 Dec 2013 19:19:59 +0000 Nihao Serge,

Greetings from the USA and thank you for your wonderful lessons!

Would you please tell me the fellows name that sings “The Orchids”?

Regards, Bill.

Comment on Lesson 030. Directions and Location. by Serge Melnyk Wed, 20 Nov 2013 18:45:58 +0000 Nihao David, I would like to give you some examples for this grammar construction.

Technically, the “le” particle should be added to the very end of the dao4…..qu4(到……去) construction. Especially, if you just want to make a statement, make it known to everyone that “he went to China!”: ta1 dao4 Zhong1guo2 qu4 le(他到中国去了), the same meaning can also be expressed by saying : ta1 qu4 Zhong1guo2 le(他去中国了) or ta1 dao4 Zhong1guo2 le(他到中国了). You announce to everyone or someone, that “he” went to China! It’s supposed to be a new information to the listener, so the ‘le’ here is a marker “of the new change in the situation” and is placed at the end.

So, ta1 dao4 Zhong1guo2 qu4 le(他到中国去了)
ta1 qu4 Zhong1guo2 le(他去中国了)
ta1 dao4 Zhong1guo2 le(他到中国了) * also means ‘he arrived in China’, because dao4(到) by itself means ‘to arrive’.

All mean “he went to China!”- as a new information for the listener.

Now, let’s put ‘le’ directly after the 1st verb and see what happens…

A: ta1 dao4 le Zhong1guo2 qu4(他到了中国去)- He went to CHINA~!

B: Why? What the heck is he going to do in China?

A: ta1 dao4 le Zhong1guo2 qu4 gong1zuo4!(他到了中国去工作)-He went to China to work!

A more neutral way of saying, will be just ta1 dao4 Zhong1guo2 qu4 gong1zuo4!(他到中国去工作!), without any ‘le’ particle.

A: ta1 qu4 le Zhong1guo2(他去了中国)- He went to CHINA~!

B: Ah?

A: Ta1 qu4 le Zhong1guo2, bu2 shi4 Ri4ben3!(他去了中国,不是日本)-He went to CHINA, not Japan!

Do you feel the difference in the emphasis?

Ta1 dao4 le Zhong1guo2(他到了中国)- He went to China or He arrived in China.

Using dao4(到) usually will imply that “he has arrived somewhere”.

So, more often, you will just use qu4(去) or dao4…..qu4(到…..去), the latter being a bit more formal.

Conclusion: When placing particle le directly after the 1st verb, you can add other things to the sentence, such as ta1 dao4 le Zhong1guo2 qu4 xue2xi2(他到了中国去学习)-He went to China to study….etc.

If ‘le’ is at the end, it’s the end of the sentence, you can not extend that sentence. E.g. ta1 dao4 Zhong1guo2 qu4 le(他到中国去了). You CAN NOT say: Ta1 dao4 Zhong1guo2 qu4 le xue2xi2!(他到中国去了学习)

Only, if you remove ‘le’, it will be possible: Ta1 dao4 Zhong1guo2 qu4 xue2xi2!(他到中国去学习) .

Hope this answers your question.

Comment on Lesson 030. Directions and Location. by David Hughes Wed, 20 Nov 2013 18:37:26 +0000 Serge, Nihao!
Where do you put le (past participle)
Dao….qu construction to make the sentence past tense?

Comment on Lesson 009. Weather and Seasons in Chinese. by Ibrahim Keita Mon, 14 Oct 2013 16:36:04 +0000 Nin hao Serge,
I would like to thank you for your great job and all your effort, I really appreciated your lessons.
Xie Xie.

Comment on Lesson 009. Weather and Seasons in Chinese. by Lex Treloar Sat, 28 Sep 2013 02:54:08 +0000 Hi Serge 老师,

Thanks for your lessons. I’ve subscribed for a while and I am just going slowly, and am up to Lesson 15.
On my iPhone I notice I can change Siri to mandarin, while still using English for the phone itself. So now I am able to ask about the weather, to make phone calls, ask her to play my music – in mandarin. Although I can’t seem to get her to send a text message…. Yet.
It’s really encouraging! I’ve also made friends in China, and communicate with Skype, and I’m complimented on my pronunciation, quite often.

So, thanks again. I am really enjoying the course.

Cheers from Australia.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment on Lesson 001. Greetings in Chinese. by Serge Melnyk Tue, 24 Sep 2013 19:48:51 +0000 Hi Dawei,

You can tell from the context. There is no plural form in Chinese grammar.

E.g. by saying ‘some’ you will imply it’s plural: yi4xie1(一些)-some, yi4xie1 ping2guo3(一些苹果)-some apples.

Otherwise, library or libraries are all the same: tu2shu2guan3(图书馆). You can say, hen3 duo1 tu2shu1guan3(很多图书馆)-many libraries.

There is suffix men2(们), but it’s mostly used with pronouns like wo3(我), wo3men(我们), ni3(你), ni3men(你们). If you see it’s used with something else, it’s the indication of ‘humanification’ on that object, that is speaking of it as of a person.

Comment on Lesson 001. Greetings in Chinese. by David Hughes Tue, 24 Sep 2013 19:47:05 +0000 Serge,
I think I just plain missed something important.
How do you indicate a objects as plural? For example, I ate some apples or I like libraries?

Comment on Lesson 021. Seeing a Doctor. by Serge Melnyk Sun, 22 Sep 2013 18:34:04 +0000 Nihao Matthew,

teng2(疼) vs. tong4(痛) is mainly the regional difference. Teng2(疼) will be used more in Beijing or Northern China, and tong(痛) in Taiwan, Shanghai or Southern China. These two characters actually make a new word teng2tong4(疼痛)- pain (noun).

But separately, teng2(疼) and tong4(痛) both mean ‘to hurt’, to ‘feel pain'(verbs).

Hope this helps,

Comment on Lesson 009. Weather and Seasons in Chinese. by Serge Melnyk Sun, 22 Sep 2013 18:30:08 +0000 Nihao Jeremy,

When a question is asked and you need to say ‘yes’, you can say 1) dui4(对)-yes, right or 2)shi4(是)/shi4de(是的)-yes, it is.

In most cases, you would just say dui4(对). For shi4(是) or shi4de(是的), you would use it for ‘yes,sure, it is like that’, ‘yes, it is’ etc.

There is no difference between shi4(是) and shi4de(是的), de is just added at the end for more emphasis and it doesn’t carry any meaning. Another example would be hao3(好) vs. hao3de(好的). It’s just something similar to ‘alight’ and ‘alrighty’ in English. (

Hope this answers your question :), and if you have more bring them in.

Comment on Lesson 021. Seeing a Doctor. by Matthew Miner Sun, 22 Sep 2013 14:33:59 +0000 Laoshi hao,

I was wondering about another word for pain, teng2. Is there a difference in usage between teng2 and tong4?

Xiexie ni.

Comment on Lesson 009. Weather and Seasons in Chinese. by Jeremy Davis Fri, 20 Sep 2013 23:49:45 +0000 你好 Serge!

I am a newbie/beginner and have really liked your lessons so far. When asked a question, and you would like to answer “yes”, when or why would you use shì versus shìde. What’s the difference, and is one preferred over the other.

Also, how would you answer “no”.

Comment on Lesson 009. Weather and Seasons in Chinese. by Serge Melnyk Wed, 14 Aug 2013 07:21:50 +0000 Nihao John!

It’s a very good question about particle ‘le’.

Basically, particle ‘le’ is used when there is a change in the situation, e.g. from not being something, to being something, from not having to having, from not knowing to knowing, etc.

So in this particular example, we’ve got xia4yu3(下雨) to rain (rain pours down), so when I see it’s raining now (and it wasn’t a few minutes ago), I will say xia4yu3 le!(下雨了!)-it’s raining now!

This “now” part can really emphasize the use of particle ‘le’, so it’s not just raining in any abstract time and place, but it just started to rain here and now.

Same is for xia4xue3(下雪) and xia4xue3 le!(下雪了!) One can say with excitement, while looking out of the window, xia4xue3 le!(下雪了!)–IT’S SNOWING NOW! YEY! Or, perhaps, OH, NO, IT’s SNOWING NOW :(.

In both cases, he/she will say xia4xue3 le(下雪了), because there was an instant change of the situation “from not snowing to snowing” (based on when the person sees it).

If you wish, you can challenge me with some more examples using particle ‘le’ and I will help you correct them and explain them if there is a mistake.

Hope this is helpful!

Comment on Lesson 009. Weather and Seasons in Chinese. by John Gleason Tue, 13 Aug 2013 12:00:31 +0000 Serge,

A Chinese friend adds “le” to “Xia4yu3” and “Xia4xue3.” In other words, he says “Xia4yu3 le” for “It is raining” and says “Xia4xue3 le” for “It is snowing.” Is adding “le” a regional variation or what?

Thanks for everything, Serge.

Comment on Lesson 006. Chinese Food is Good to Eat! by Serge Melnyk Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:06:09 +0000 Nihao Alexa, thanks for your comment! Let me help you re-phrase your comment a little bit:
我不知道你会不会看汉字(I don’t know if you can read Chinese characters, the “if” here is an English way to express, in Mandarin, you use “if” only in its direct, conditional meaning, such as if…then…., so using 会不会, or 是不是 is what in Mandarin will mean ‘whether, if’), you could also say: 我不知道你是不是能看汉字。

这些播客非常有帮助 (有帮助 instead of just 有助, it’s more complete way, 有助,有助于 is more used in proverbs or idiomatic expressions).

我在上海学习(instead of 我学习在上海, here it’s just the basic word order issue, you put the place/time first, rather than at the end of sentence as we do in English).

但是我要提高我的中文口语 (instead of 中文说的 by which you meant ‘Chinese speaking’.说 Is a verb ‘to speak’, 说的 is something/somebody that you speak of. For ‘Chinese speaking’, 口语 is better as it means ‘oral language’.

Well, that’s all! Thank YOU too for learning Chinese on my Website!

Comment on Lesson 006. Chinese Food is Good to Eat! by Alexa Shupp Tue, 30 Jul 2013 19:43:16 +0000 我不知道如果你会看汉字,对不起!这些播客非常有助!我学习在上海但是我要提高我的中文说的。谢谢你。

Comment on Lesson 066. Crime and Police in China. by Serge Melnyk Wed, 17 Jul 2013 22:50:34 +0000 Hi Bill, I’d glad you like the lessons! Tou1(偷) or tou1qie4(偷窃) means to steal and xiao3tou1(小偷) is a thief or thieves.

Hope this helps!

Comment on Lesson 066. Crime and Police in China. by bill ross Wed, 17 Jul 2013 15:39:34 +0000 Ni hao Serge,

I enojoy my subscription very much, learning Chinese is my favorite hobby! Thank you!

Is thieve touqie and theif xiaotou?

Comment on Lesson 002. Tones and Pronunciation. by A J Wed, 17 Jul 2013 10:50:24 +0000 Just wanted to say thank you very much for providing these lessons. I just returned to the US after spending two years working in China and was worried that I would not be able to keep up my Chinese language studies.

I have been able to, and one of my most important tools is listening to one of your podcasts each day, once on my ride to work and once on my ride back home.

I am still on the earlier lessons (36) so a lot of it is review for me at this point, but they are still wonderful.

Just wanted to let you know that they are great as a supplement to what I already know and to say thank you for providing them and continuing the lessons.

Comment on Lesson 001. Greetings in Chinese. by Jérôme Wed, 03 Jul 2013 09:04:19 +0000 Lesson 65 grammar review is really great! I own several grammar books but they contain too much information for my level.
In lesson 65 I can find all the grammar points that are relevant to my level.

Comment on Lesson 006. Chinese Food is Good to Eat! by Pascal Tue, 11 Jun 2013 11:51:38 +0000 I find your explanation of the 3 “de” very valuable. A Chinese friend tried explaining the same thing to me two weeks ago and didn’t succeed. ;-)
Thanks a lot again, your work really helps me a lot. After about 100 podcasts I now just went back to the beginning and noticed so much progress compared to the first time I listened to them. That’s a huge motivation. :-)

Comment on Lesson 009. Weather and Seasons in Chinese. by Megan Mon, 10 Jun 2013 10:38:51 +0000 Hi,

Serge, thanks for the interesting podcasts. I use them myself and also recommend them to my students who are learning Chinese.

I noticed you decided to go ahead and update with both simplified and traditional characters. I think that is a great choice. You said above that traditional characters are more universal, but I would like to point out that it is untrue that most Mainland Chinese can read traditional characters. In fact, most people under the age of 60 could read many traditional characters!

Comment on Lesson 211. Your Holiday Shopping List. by Scott Drummonds Wed, 22 May 2013 18:32:27 +0000 Serge,

I have been listening to the free Podcasts you created to assist the
Mandarin lessons I am taking here in xīn jiā pō. My existing class gives
me plenty fo study aids so I am not sure if I will get a whole bunch of use out of the additional aids you provide to subscribers. But your podcasts have been such a wonderful tool to help me train my ear to the language that I really wanted to support your effort. I just signed up for a six month subscription. And, who knows, maybe your study aids will be much better than my local ones and I’ll find myself a subscriber for a very long time!

Thanks for your hard work.

Comment on Lesson 137. Divorce in Mandarin Chinese. by Eric Kuns Sat, 18 May 2013 21:42:27 +0000 Hi Serge:

Ni hao wo lao shi!

I love the recordings and accompanying tape scripts. I lived in China
for a year in a comparatively small city called Hanzhong, in the
Shaangxi province. Not only did I study Chinese there from a couple
different instructors at our school, but I also worked with the
Rosetta Stone, Transparent Language software, and a couple other
freeware programs. But none of the instruction was really practical
enough (you can go through all of the Rosetta Stone without ever
learning “ni hao”), or systematic and comprehensive enough for me to
really get a solid footing in the foundation of the language. I do
have lots of bits and peaces, but they aren’t all coming together.

Recently I’ve been living in Vietnam, but am moving back to China in
February to teach English there, to another small town, Pulandian,
where there are virtually no foreigners and I will really have to rely
on my Chinese.

Your lessons are the best thing I’ve come across in all my searches
and will give me the foundation I want. I’ll still work with other
programs to round out my understanding and fortify what I learn
through you, but you are now my primary Chinese teacher.

Among the great things about your instruction are the explanations,
clear and slow pronunciation followed by natural speach, and the
native speaker inclusion.

I put all the significant material on notecards to drill myself, and
you’ve also got the best and most useful phrases I’ve come across to
work with.

Keep up the outstanding job and inexpensive service for those that
want to learn Mandarin.

Again, as an experienced and serious English teacher, I can really
appreciate your approach.

Eric Kuns

Comment on Lesson 070. Describing a Person. by Jennifer Shannon Sat, 18 May 2013 03:40:41 +0000 Hi Serge:

Thank you for your wonderful lessons. I am trying to learn some Mandarin so I can teach my 21 month old as well. I am learning as I go. More baby talk episodes would be helpful!

Comment on Lesson 005. What’s your name? by Serge Melnyk Thu, 02 May 2013 19:48:55 +0000 Nihao Ali, thank you for your question! For some types of questions, it is acceptable to omit the particle ma(吗), e.g. when another question word is used, such as shenme(什么) or na3(哪), actually, you won’t even use ‘ma’ to form a question when there is another question word. Also, when the answer can not just be simple yes or no, which is the case for most questions with particle ma(吗).

E.g. ni3 qu4 ma?(你去吗?)-are you going?–You can certainly just answer “yes” or “no”, or qu4(去) and bu2 qu4(不去).
Ni3 chi1 ma?(你吃吗?)-will you eat? Again, you can answer, chi1(吃) or bu4 chi1(不吃).

If the question word is used: ni3 chi1 shenme?(你吃什么?)-what will you eat? You won’t need any ‘ma’ in this sentence.

Nin2 gui4 xing4?(您贵姓?)-and your precious/honorable surname is…..? It is NOT “your surname is precious?”, it is “your precious surname (is…)”.

So this kind of construction is special, it’s not a typical question, it’s more a statement turned into a question.

Comment on Lesson 005. What’s your name? by Ali Thu, 02 May 2013 15:02:48 +0000 你好 Serge !

I love your website and tell everyone interested in Chinese about it. Thank you for making such a valuable resource available! In the final dialogue (situation #3) of lesson 5, you have this sentence:

What is your family name? ‘你贵姓?’ [ni gui xing]

Why isn’t the ma particle added? Is there another question word in that sentence?

Comment on Lesson 006. Chinese Food is Good to Eat! by Tom Tue, 09 Apr 2013 18:57:37 +0000 Excellent course! One of the best for learning Chinese in my opinion!
Thank you for your efforts!

Comment on Lesson 035. Bargaining in Mandarin Chinese. by Nghi Ly Fri, 22 Feb 2013 09:06:39 +0000 Serge ,

you are a really really good teacher !

Un très bon prof qui sait intéresser l’élève .

I recommend this website for anyone who wants to learn Chinese without pain .

Comment on Lesson 001. Greetings in Chinese. by Pascal Wed, 26 Dec 2012 15:24:16 +0000 Hey Serge!

I also just want to thank you for all your work. It really helped me and still is. I actually still have a long way to go, but currently living and working in Suzhou should help with that. ;-)

I listened to the podcasts while going for a walk or running back in Viennan, now the perfect time is after work when I prepare/eat dinner, don’t need any additional time and only need my ears. :-) Very convenient!

Keep up the good work!

Comment on Lesson 002. Tones and Pronunciation. by Serge Melnyk Mon, 24 Dec 2012 05:21:05 +0000 Hi David,
When you pronounce words that feature the 2nd and 3rd tones together, e.g.mei3guo2(美国)-America, please try to keep the 3rd tone of mei3(美) as low as possible. Do not raise your voice! Just like you pronounce the 1st tone, but very very low at the very bottom.
If you see 2 3rd tones together, e.g. ni3hao3(你好), then first 3rd tone will automatically change into 2nd tone, so you will say ni2hao3. It’s a rule and it’s always like this.
The topic of the tone sandhi was also discussed in lessons 4 and 11.

Comment on Lesson 002. Tones and Pronunciation. by David Mon, 24 Dec 2012 04:53:35 +0000 Hi Serge,
I think it isn’t very difficult for beginners to correctly utter the tones individually. The problems arise with multi-syllable words, and especially words that feature the 2nd and 3rd tone. If possible, could you please devise a lesson that focuses on this issue. Think about words like Mei3guo2, for example. Those are a nightmare for beginners. Please help us!